Your Privacy and GOC
Collection and Use of Personal Information
GOC collects and uses personal information from you in the course of providing services to you. GOC may collect personal information such as your name, address, contact information, email address, credit card information, demographic and profile data for the following purposes:
- Registration for membership with GOC;
- Automatic renewals of memberships;
- Registration for GOC conferences and courses;
- Tailoring our conference activities as well as increasing engagement of our members and increasing and retaining our membership;
- Advertising and promoting conferences and courses to you;
- Providing you with course updates, guidelines, brochures, pamphlets, books or websites for which GOC produces;
- Providing you with periodic newsletters or updates and announcements regarding GOC products and services;
- Promoting contests and awarding prizes;
- Contacting you for participation in speaking engagements;
- Processing abstracts submitted to GOC abstract manager program;
- Processing purchases of products and services on GOC’s websites; and/or
- For additional purposes that are identified at or before the time of collection and use, or through changes to this Privacy
We have entered into agreements with trusted third-party service providers, agents and business associates who provide support, services, and equipment to GOC. These service providers, agents and business associates may use your personal information in order to provide us with services that we can provide you, or to directly provide you with services.
If at one time you provided your personal information to us, you may have your personal information removed by contacting GOC. You may choose to not share your personal information with GOC however this may limit your access to GOC activities and services.
Disclosure of Personal Information
GOC will not disclose, trade, rent, sell or otherwise transfer personal information for purposes other than as those set out herein, except with your consent, as disclosed at the time of collection, or as required by law. GOC may transfer or disclose your personal information in the following limited ways:
- When participating in a contest or promotion, we may collect personal information, such as a contest winner’s name, city of residence, and prize winnings in order to award prizes and promote such contests, and this information may be published in connection with contests;
- When you provide us with you name, address and other contact information at our conferences, this information will be provided to our exhibitors at each of our conferences;
- GOC may disclose your personal information to third-party service providers, agents or business associates who provide services to or on behalf of GOC such as hosting, data management and storage services, journal publication, promotions from said publisher as well as market Either GOC or third-party service providers, agents, or business associates may use servers or storage for such purposes which are located in the USA or another foreign jurisdiction. The personal information of individuals processed and stored in foreign jurisdictions is subject to the laws of that foreign country and as such may be accessible in that foreign country;
- GOC, and our Canadian, USA and other service providers may provide your personal information without your consent in response to a search warrant or other legally valid inquiry or order, or to an investigative body in the case of a breach of an agreement or contravention of law, or as otherwise required by applicable Canadian, USA or other.
Cookies and IP Addresses
When you log onto the Internet, your ISP automatically assigns an IP address to your computer. Web servers identify your computer by its IP address, and we use your IP address to help diagnose problems with our servers, to administer the website, and to constantly improve the value of the materials available on the website.
Storage, Processing and Security of Personal Information
We use a variety of secure means to store your personal information. These include:
- A secure server to store personal information;
- Locked cabinets in secure areas to store hard copies of records;
- Technological security measures, including passwords and encryption to prevent unauthorized access to financial and other personal information stored on computer systems; and
- GOC’s third party service providers are obligated to maintain confidentiality and security of the personal information transferred to them and are not authorized to use such information other than to provide the services or as otherwise permitted by law.
The Model Code for the Protection of Personal Information
GOC applies the ten principles of the Model Code for the Protection of Personal Information which is incorporated into the legislation, when collecting, using, or disclosing your personal information:
- Accountability – GOC is responsible for the personal information collected and maintained by it and which is under its control.
- Identifying Purposes – We require the consent of individuals prior to using their personal information for any purpose other than that for which it was originally collected or stated within this Privacy Similarly, if any individuals wish to be advised of the personal information we have related to them, they can contact us at the address set out below.
- Consent – We are dedicated to obtaining the informed consent of individuals who provide us with their personal To this end, all our employees, personnel, or agents are instructed to provide information about how personal information is used to all interested individuals who inquire, as well as to obtain the informed consent of those who provide their personal information. We may periodically request written confirmation from you to ensure that the personal information collected and maintained by us is up-to-date and accurate. We may also ensure that we have your continuing consent to use and retain your personal information.
- Limiting Use, Disclosure, and Retention – GOC does not use personal information for purposes other than those for which it was originally collected, unless it has first obtained the consent of the person from whom such information was We retain personal information only for as long as it is needed, and only for the fulfillment of the purposes for which it was originally collected, or for as long as legally required. Once personal information is no longer needed, hard copies are shredded and disposed of, and digital information is erased.
- Accuracy – GOC is committed to maintaining accurate, complete, and up-to-date personal If there are changes to the personal information you have given to us, simply inform us of the changes and we will update our records accordingly.
- Safeguards – GOC has developed and implemented security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the personal information kept by We also ensure that any of ouremployees who deal with personal information are properly trained and are aware of the necessary and appropriate measures required to protect personal information.
- Openness – GOC makes information about its policies and practices respecting the collection and maintenance of personal information available to all interested We are pleased to answer any questions that you may have regarding the collection and maintenance of personal information.
- Individual Access – You can request access to your personal information held by us by contacting However, we reserve the right to confirm the identity of the person seeking access to personal information before complying with any access requests.
- Challenging Compliance – We will investigate all complaints received by us and will respond in writing in a timely If any complaint is found to be justified, then we will take appropriate measures to resolve the matter to the satisfaction of the complainant.
If you would like more information about our policies, or if you would like to access or correct the personal information we have about you in our records, then please contact us by email or in writing, as provided below:
The Society of Gynecologic Oncology of Canada
780 Echo Drive, Ottawa, Ontario, K1S 5R7
Phone: 613-730-4192 ext. 250